Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Over Exposed

I was talking to a wonderful and precious friend from my past this week and the subject of blogging came up.  I mentioned that it was so hard to be a continuous blogger because you were never sure if your blog should be an "informative" tool or a diary.  If you have read mine you can see that it has been both.  I was thinking this week and writing in my diary (to masculinize it, Logbook) and I thought that I would share this thought and prayer request with you because I know that each of you has been faithful in praying for us and continually shows your faith in us by supporting us.

I have truly enjoyed the class and sermon series at church the last couple weeks.  The series on the parables of Jesus has continued to remind me of what Jesus was and is saying to us today.  

This weeks lesson was on Luke 16:19 and following.  The Rich Man and Lazarus.  

I love the book of Luke.  Besides the fact that it was written by a gentile, and a doctor at that, I love that Luke's focus is the gospel to the poor, the women and the gentiles.  All of which were despicable to the Jews.  I can almost see Luke sitting at his desk writing to this "Theophilus", also a gentile, almost saying to himself, "I cannot believe these Jews did not see this coming".  I cannot believe that they have turned their head in denial of not only Jesus the person but his teaching.  "My research is so conclusive, how can they not see it"?  (That's the doctor in him).

In Luke 16, after Lazarus and the rich man die the rich man is being tormented and asks "I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house... Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment."  This rich man knew Lazarus' name!  He was not a stranger.  The rich man walked by him every day and did not see him.  The poor were everywhere and I'm sure it made Jesus overwhelmed with frustration and sadness that the "Godly" people of that day did not even see them.

We have been having our Sunday night ministry at the Benevolence for over two years now and I confess that before we started this study the people who walked up and down the street with their old bike, shopping carts and 3 layers of clothes in the summer time (so no one will steal them) had no names to me and were invisible.  Now, I see them all.  I see them hiding in their little corners at the stores, malls, and the wooded clearings around town.  I praise God for opening my eyes.  I realize that I was not tuned in to God's view of the world.  Now I know their names.  (It is almost strange to hear your 5 year old, from the back seat of the van, say as we pass the corner at Brookshires, "Hey there's Mary".)  She's the one who hold the sign, will work for food.

My fear, and my point, is that I have been praying that God would not allow my eyes to be covered and my feelings to be callused when we move to Rwanda.  The fear of overexposure because of the mass of people in need is so great that I am afraid of becoming blind to God's plan for me and forgetting to see the forest because of the trees.

Please pray that not only me but Kristin and our children will see God's world through the eyes of Jesus and seek out every chance to serve.  I know it can and will be overwhelming at times but with the compassion and love of Christ we will prevail.  

Lord do not let any of your workers be blinded to the works you have prepared for us.

I want each of you to know that I lift up all those who pray for us and ask great blessings and peace on you.