Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thanks and Goodbyes

The count down is almost complete. The days and hours are ticking away. We will leave for Rwanda on August 12 at roughly 4pm. To say we are excited would be an understatement. To say we are not afraid would be a lie. To say that we trust in God would be true!

We would not be in this place today if not for the great will and workings of God. We began our journey 18 months ago and I can say our fear today does not come close to matching that of December 2007 when we fully gave ourselves over to God's calling. In the last 18 months he has brought peace and willingness to our spirits and we are anxious to see what amazing things he will do with us from this day forward.

We were singing in the car yesterday with Samuel. He loves to sing and is such an auditory learner that he memorizes songs after just one or two rounds. Anyway, we were singing "Hymns of the Month" from chapel at Grace. Singing the old songs made me remember "Count Your Blessings". After finishing the song we took the opportunity to think of all the wonderful people and blessings God has put in our lives over the last chapter in our lives that we feel brought us to this day.

I cannot start this expression of gratitude without naming one person first and foremost.

Sylvia!

She probably kicks herself just at the mention of the fact that if it were not for her generosity we would not be leaving for Rwanda. I know this is bittersweet for her but I also know she seeks and serves the Lord and would not have us do anything other than what we feel God has called us to do. In addition to all her generosity in regard to our fundraising, she actually went out and helped us raise funds from our peers at work. After all that, she allowed us to use her Bullard farm house for almost 3 months. Thank you so much Sylvia, we love you.

I want to thank the mission's committee and elders at Glenwood who have shown their faith in God by showing exceptional faith in us. The support they have pledged has been a great a leap as our own decision to go! Praise God for each of them. I also lift up the congregation at Glenwood for their support and love. We have felt so thankful for their heartfelt concern for our family.

We have had many people at church, work and other organizations who have offered us the use of cars, washing machines, dryers, internet access, and so much more. We could not have made it through the summer without these wonderful people. When our van broke down in Houston we didn't have to go a single day without or spend even a penny on a replacement vehicle. My partners at work provided a long term car when the van broke down and then a short term car when I had to give up my truck last weekend. We love each of you so much.

We want to thank all of the individual donors and churches who have committed both short startup funds and long term support even when times have been tough. The congregations at Rt. 230, Lakeside, New Hope, Park Plaza, and East Grand have shown such great faith in their offerings. I cannot even begin to name all of the individual donors across the US that are giving faithfully to see God succeed in Rwanda.

I want to thank Murphy Crowson, my wonderful teammate who has been with me (via internet) the whole way. He has provided us with so much information about how to get things done and who to contact for help. I know that his leading will make our transition into Africa so much smoother and I know I could not have done it without his help.

I give thanks for the Koonces. I know that Marty's two trips back to the US this past year were not for good reasons but each time he came he was able to visit with us and encourage us. He came to us during hard times in our lives and was able to just fill us up with joy and remind us of the reason we committed to this work.

Our journey to Rwanda began with a burden to become debt free. I firmly believe that we were brought to Trinity Clinic just for this reason. I am so grateful for Greg Stovall and the other leaders, my partners and my patients for their faith in me. It takes a great amount of faith and risk to hire a new doctor and to go to a new young doctor (who looked 15 when he started) and I am thankful for all of my patients who have stuck with me and encouraged me in this journey. The Lord has blessed us at TC and because of this our loans were paid off early and he has made his perfect time for his perfect will known once again.

I finally want to give praise to God for making Kristin and I part of the "Gathering" ministry at Karing Kitchen in downtown Tyler. I would never have guessed when we started this work that we would be leaving it for Africa. It was hard to go every Sunday when our kids were so small. I was just tired of mopping red drink off the floor every week. However I also would not have guessed how much it was preparing us for a cross-cultural ministry. God knew 3 years ago that we would be going to Rwanda and I have no doubt that these wonderful people were an integral part of our training. I have to give honor to Carl Wells who attended faithfully from the beginning despite his own ailing health. He has become a great person in Samuel's life and we will miss him greatly. I pray God's comfort on him these last days.

Finally, again, I must give thanks to God. Without his faithfulness and blessings this day would not have come. We cannot know what he has in store for us in Rwanda but as I have told so many of my patients, "I just know God is going to do something great, I just pray I will be there to see it".