Thursday, October 1, 2009

bira shoboka!

Well I kind of feel like I've arrived today.

We have language lessons 5 days a week from 7:30 am to 8:30 am. This is particularly great because the kids leave for school at 7:05. This leaves a great time for Kristin and I to have direct and uninterrupted time with our instructor, Chris (short for a much longer Rwnadan name).

Over the last 4 weeks we have been working on basic things like asking how to get somewhere, how to give directions (note my previous blog entry about frustrations of giving directions) how to buy things at the market and so on. We have done well and feel we have advanced at at least an average pace. Well today we sort of digressed from learning how to say, "Please close the door" or "Please open the window" to simple responses to questions. One of the ways our instructor teaches is to constantly ask us questions and we answer back in Kinyarwanda. Well I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to ask, how do you say, "It is possible". I have heard so many times over the last 6 weeks , "It is impossible". So today I have officially learned, "bira shoboka". It IS possible. This hasn't really gotten me anywhere yet because if I say it they go on to explain why it is not possible and then I am lost again. I can only keep repeating, "but it is possible" to no avail.

Oh well, I am one step closer to the inner workings of this society. Certainly a society in which I will never full fit but I can feel God finding ways to draw me closer to reaching Rwanda in it's native language. I will have to add on to this new bit of language skill by learning how to to say, "With God, all things are possible". I have had to chance to share this with many over the last weeks and I am so often pleased to hear that yes, they do believe that God can do all things.

We have seen God do so much. As an update I can say that our visas were approved and our passports are stamped and official now. We don't have to plan a trip to Uganda or Burundi in 6 weeks so we can renew our visitor visas. In addition we are awaiting the final clearing of our container. It arrived about 7 days ago and the moving company here in Rwanda assures us that all the paperwork is done and approved and that the only thing left is the customs stamp. Please pray that all things work for the best the first time. The law states that we are entitled to one container per family free of tax as long as we have nothing that is intended for retail. (Which we don't). However, it is not uncommon for them to attempt to charge some tax for some of the new items on the containers but this is part of a game and if it happens then it is more delay and more paperwork. The delay means storage fees. The fees are not that high but they are unnecessary and frustrating.

One blessing today is that we received two packages in the mail today. We had mailed them to ourselves about 9 weeks ago. We were not able to fit Madelyn's bike on the container nor were we able to fit her American Girl doll and accessories in our carry-ons. We had to mail both. Well they arrived today and we just can't wait until Madelyn gets home from school today. She is doing so well and oddly enough she is our big helper. She gets quite upset if she misses her turn to hand wash the dishes after supper. She just loves the job.

Now that I've found the verbal response to, "it is impossible", Please pray for me as I continue my quest to find the cultural response to this difficult cultural and often spiritual impasse.

Please pray that we will continue to find the "people of peace" that God has planned for us and that we will be diligent and successful in bringing them into relationships with us and finally with God.