Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Home Alone!

Well, I find myself home alone on this New Year's Eve.  This is my year to be on call.  I cannot complain much as I have not been on call for New Year's for many years as I have often had the privilege to attend the Cotton Bowl many times in the last 5 years.  Yes, sometimes I have volunteered to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas just to be off on New Year's day.  In case you're wondering about my preference towards Bowl Games over Christmas, please see my previous post.  (for the record, I do love Christmas more than Bowl Games).  

As I sit here and attempt to watch the mini-series John Adams I find myself meditating on the joy of the last year and day dreaming about the joy of the year to come. 

I think of my dear children and the changes that have come to our family this year.   First and foremost we have no more diapers in our home.  There is almost no more joy for a parent of 4 children, who at one time, I think, had three children in diapers at one point.  

I think of my wonderful wife who so bravely stood by me in our decision and many times stood between me and certain death as we made our decision known to others.

I think of my son Samuel who still thinks he wants to paint water towers for a living.  I think that is awesome!

I think of Aaron who at his most intimate moment can still only say, "I wike you daddy".  He has no comforting or compassionate bone in his body so I cherish the word "wike" as I suspect it really means "love".  He has become our Big A.  That is what our family calls him.  Sometimes we refer to him as A.O.    He can spell his name but when he writes it he only writes AO.  

I think of Grace who has become the best swimmer.  Swimming was a passion of mine as a young teenager and even without my prodding she has come to love it.  She brings me such joy.  Of all our children she is most like me.  I ache to know the great Godly woman she is to become!

I think of Madelyn.  She has a 100% in spelling and I am not sure she has missed a spelling word in years.  She is independent.  She is the most capable and responsible 7 year old I have ever seen.  So much so I must constantly remind myself that she is also one of the most cunning.  She is the only child of mine that I cannot tell when she lies.  She is my challenge and that is also joy.

 I think of the day at the end of last year that I sat in a room alone with Marty Koonce and prayed that God would make his will for me and my family known.  I think of the day we sat in our home with the Koonces and gave our fears and anxiousness over to the Lord.  

I think of the night that Glenwood said they would stand behind us and provide for the needs of our family and support the work of God in Rwanda!!!

I think of Rt 230 Church of Christ who has surrounded us with prayer and said they will help us get to Rwanda.

I look forward to being able to give glory to God for that one last partner that will come to our aid and provide our ongoing work fund.  I look forward to being able to share that joy with all of you this year!

I look forward to arriving in Rwanda and joining a team of families that I already love so much.  I find joy in knowing that I will learn to speak the word of God in another language.  That I will see the hand of God change the hearts and lives of countless men, women and families.   I look forward to learning a new and exciting way of life. Learning to live life at a completely new pace.  I look forward in seeing how God will use this new life to change and mature the spirits of my already wonderful children.

I look forward to being in Rwanda on January 1, 2009 and being able to look back at all the ways God has provided for my family and the people of His church.

Bless all of you and know that I pray for you.