Thursday, December 27, 2007

Untouchables

I have to give some credit for these thoughts to Tad Tolleson. His class discussion a couple of weeks ago on Jesus and his interaction with Bartimaeus. This particular class made me more aware of the true nature of Jesus. As Kristin and I sat in class and listened we each (confiding in each other later) spent much of the time going over in our heads the names of the “untouchable” people we experience each week. People like Shadow, Cherilyn, Victor and Sheri, Carl, Harold and the guy that lives down the road from our house in the empty lot next to the loop. These are the exact people God continually uses to teach us about himself.

There are many instances in the bible where Jesus and later after much pain, the apostles stop to touch such people that society deems untouchable.

In the story of the blind beggar, Bartimaeus sat on the side of the road and when he heard that Jesus was near began to shout "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" Those around him began to ridicule him and rebuke him but he called out only louder. Jesus brought him near and asked what I would consider a “duh” question, What do you want me to do for you? “I want to see” was the reply. Jesus gave the man his sight and restored more than his vision but restored his value.

One of my favorite stories about an blatantly untouchable woman (probably Mary) occurred in the home of Simon the Pharisee. Jesus was asked to lunch one day by Simon and during the meal a “sinful woman” came in and started cleaning and kissing Jesus’ feet. Now, as Ortberg puts it in his book, the word sinner in this context makes no pretenses. She is a prostitute! The fact that she is in the home of a pharisee is almost makes the story unbelievable. So Simon uses this woman to point out that Jesus could not be a prophet or he would know that this woman was a sinner and certainly would not allow himself to be touched by her. I love Jesus’ reply: You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." She dared to come to the teacher and actually make him unclean according to the Law. Yet as a reward for her boldness, she was given eternal life. Simon had no idea what he had lost.

Again, Jesus in the presence of important, rich and influential men brought value to a woman who is likely considered one of the most untouchable and unclean creatures on earth. I would guess that some pharisees would eat a vulture before being seen sitting at a table with this woman. The pharisees had saw themselves as valuable and irreproachable and were proud of their stature. They truly expected the Son of God to come down from heaven and give them praise and honor for their perfect attentiveness to the law. He would make them the rightful leaders of God’s kingdom on earth.

I am guilty of such thoughts. I have found myself denying love and comfort to those in need. I am like Peter, I needed more than one vision to convince me that it is okay to love and commune with “untouchables”. How could I be so foolish. Now that God has opened my eyes to these wonderful people in need, I can never go back.

Jesus came to give value. He came to touch. I ask the Lord Jesus to live in me and give me a spirit of compassion and the desire to touch those who are untouchable. I hope that everyone will find a way to notice and touch these people this year. Find a way to feed a man who missed his last meal, or two. Find a way to keep a man warm on a rainy winter night. Find a way to hug a woman who gives sex for a warm coat, then gives the coat away for food or drugs.

My guilt comes not from these challenges but the challenge of giving help and compassion to a patient who wakes me up in the middle of the night to ask me about a problem outside of my specialty or about something my nurse could have done in the morning. Or how to love a man whose life I have saved 6 times this past year and will do so at least this many more times this year, despite his lack of love for himself or me.

God give me a compassionate touch, a heart of Christ and words that give value to untouchables. Help me not to put boundaries on my love. Amen.